Stephen F. Austin High School was built in 1929. It
opened its doors to students in September 1930. The
students who came from Austin Jr. High (now known as
Houston Elementary School) requested that the new school
have the same name, colors, mascot, and traditions.
R.E. McKee Construction Company built the school. An
old Spanish mission architectural style was used. The
main building is constructed of light tan bricks and is
fireproof. Sloping parts of the roof are covered in red
Spanish tile. The structure is crowned by a 103-foot
tower. The classrooms have marble floors and the
hallways are floored with terrazzo.
There have been many additions to the campus since the
original building was completed.
1936 - A football stadium was added. This stadium was
named after Robert E. McKee, the contractor who built
the school and stadium.
1942 - Construction began for an addition to the school.
Thirty classrooms were added to the high school and
another thirty classrooms were built as a Junior High
1943 - New Junior High School opens to students in
1945 - Bleachers on the east side of the stadium were
condemned after several students were injured.
1946 - Permanent seats erected.
1947 - Addition was dedicated during Cathedral-Austin
football game, the first to be played in the stadium.
1954 - East side of the stadium
was outfitted with new locker rooms and other amenities; the varsity baseball team was the first group to
utilize the new facilities.
1956 - 25 additional classrooms added to the junior
1978 - New building erected in the quadrangle to house a
library on the first floor and science classrooms on the
1998 - New main gymnasium was dedicated (the Panther
Activity Center or PAC). Memphis street was closed
between Byron and Stevens and parking was added to both
sides of the new gym.
2005-2006 Austin High School is celebrating its 75th
anniversary, as our Class of 1956 celebrates its 50th.